IMMUNE-BOOSTING CONGEE RECIPE
Congee, a type of rice porridge, is a nourishing and easily digestible dish that can be beneficial for supporting the immune system. Here’s a simple congee recipe with immune-boosting ingredients.
1 cup white rice Uasmine or long-grain)
6 cups water or vegetable broth
1 small chicken breast or 1 cup diced mushrooms (for vegetarian option)
1-inch fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce (or to taste)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup mixed vegetables (such as carrots, peas, and spinach)
Optional toppings: chopped green onions, cilantro, sliced mushrooms, and a drizzle of chili oil
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the water or vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add the rinsed rice, chicken breast or diced mushrooms, grated ginger, and minced garlic to the pot.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and let it simmer for about 1 to 1.5 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
– If using chicken breast, remove it from the pot after cooking,
shred it with a fork, and return it to the congee.
– If using mushrooms, let them cook throughout the simmering
- As the congee thickens, add tamari or soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir well to incorporate the flavors.
- Add the mixed vegetables to the pot and continue cooking for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and let the congee cool slightly.
- Serve the immune-boosting congee hot and garnish with your choice of toppings such as chopped green onions, cilantro, sliced mushrooms, or a drizzle of chili oil.
Enjoy this comforting and immune-supporting congee as a nourishing meal. Feel free to customize the recipe by adding herbs or spices like turmeric, black pepper, or garlic powder for additional flavor and immune-boosting benefits.
IMMUNE-BOOSTING TEA RECIPE
1 teaspoon echinacea root
1 teaspoon dried astragalus root
1 teaspoon dried elderberries
1-inch fresh ginger root, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
2 cups water
Honey (optional, for sweetness)
- In a small saucepan, add water and bring it to a boil.
- Once the water reaches a rolling boil, reduce the heat to low.
- Add echinacea root, astragalus root, elderberries, ginger root slices, and cinnamon stick to the saucepan.
- Allow the ingredients to simmer on low heat for about 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors and beneficial properties to infuse into the water.
- After simmering, remove the saucepan from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Strain the tea into a cup or teapot, discarding the herbs and spices.
- If desired, add honey for a touch of sweetness and stir well.
- Enjoy the immune-boosting tea while it’s warm and soothing.
Note: Feel free to adjust the quantities of the ingredients according to your taste preferences. You can also experiment with adding other immune-boosting herbs like rosehips, lemon balm, or thyme to customize the tea blend to your liking. Enjoy sipping on this nourishing tea as part of a balanced and healthy lifestyle to support your immune system. Stay well!
Food & Diet Recommendations
Remember to adapt the recipe to your dietary preferences and consult with a health care professional or registered dietitian for personalized advice, especially if you have specific dietary restrictions or health conditions.
Your initial consultation is free at River Point Family Acupuncture – let’s meet in person so you can learn more about how acupuncture can benefit you! Complete this form or call (715) 716-5909 to schedule with Dr. Barbie today!